Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Italian or English?...

Dear Family, 

Well, this past week the unbelievable happened. I hit my six month mark and now have only a year left in the mission. Sorella Bringas likes to tell me the date and then inform me that I'll never have a September 25th in the mission again. Grazie Sorella.

This past Sunday we had an appointment with a man from Africa in English. He was a referral from the anziani who had met him on the train. After talking for a while, he was shocked to learn that I'm from the states. ''Really? That's strange, cause you don't speak English very well.'' Ouch! Though my wounded pride wants to say that it's only because African English is worded slightly differently, I have to admit I might have slipped a few words such as 'ogni', 'alcuni', and even 'obbedienza' into the conversation. I have come to realize that my language is no longer English and isn't Italian. It's something inbetween that only a speaker of both languages can understand. 

Lets see, Savona is wonderful as always and I've been blessed with an angel for a companion. Before the mission I remember feeling slightly nervous about being with the same person 24/7, but there's something truly wonderful about constantly sharing experiences together. We lift each other up and move forward together. 

In other exciting news, tomorrow I'll return to Genova to pick up my permesso! It's been a long process, but I'll finally be legal. Horray! 

I love you all. Thanks for your prayers, letters, and support.

Love, 
Sorella Pace

No comments:

Post a Comment