Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Week 6 and a Birthday Surprise

Caro Famiglia,

Grazie for all the wonderful birthday wishes!! It's crazy to think that I'm having my 20th birthday on my mission in Italia. That's something I never planned, but I'm so grateful to be here today. And don't worry, my wonderful sorelle here in Genova are taking great care of me. They woke me up this morning with breakfast in bed - a plate full of crepes and juice!! It was delicious! Last night we had a lesson with a meno-attiva family (less-active) in the ward and they made me a delicious dinner and a wonderful torte. I was even able to blow out a couple candles! As they were singing Tanti Agguri and I looked at those candles I had the strange thought that I should make a wish. It suddenly seemed like a very selfish thing to do, and really all my wishes are for our investigators not myself. Birthdays are strange things.

My biggest birthday present is a new city!! This week is transfers and as we sat down for lunch on Monday, we received a call from Presidente Wolfgramm. I'm going to Savona!! It's nly an hour away from Genova (towards the French border) so I'm in the same zone. We leave tomorrow for Milano to pick up my new companion, Sorella Hansen, and Sorella Heupel's new companion Sorella Eaton. They've been called as a Training Sister Leader (the new sister leadership position announced in General Conference). They'll have their hands full because half of their time will be spent traveling to the different sorelle in the area for blitzes (companion exchanges). It's hard to leave Genova, especially the people here. We've seen so many miracles the past 6 weeks. and I want to be able to see the rest of their stories.

I'm super excited to go to Savona though! Sorella Hansen and I will be whitewashing the city (meaning we're both brand new there). Savona has one branch and one set of proselyting missionaries as well as a senior couple, Elder and Sister Hauk, serving there. The sorelle who were there last transfer had to suddenly leave and go to Milan two weeks ago because the contract for their apartment expired and the new apartment wasn't ready yet. I was talking to the Hauks yesterday on the phone and they're working really hard to have everything ready for us tomorrow. 

As a farewell to Genova, I've had a final foccacia, which comes from Genova. As a birthday present to myself, I'm dragging my companion to Principe (downtown Genova) and looking for Salita San Nicolosio 8B/3, where thirty years ago Anziano Pace lived and said his final goodbyes to Genova and Italia before heading home to the US. I'm only at the start of my mission, but I thought  picture by Dad's old apartment would be fun. Hopefully we can find it.

I can't believe my first transfer in Italia is nearly over. The time has just flown by. I have learned so much about myself, the gospel, and missionary work. I have seen the light of the gospel touch hearts, change lives, and bring joy. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm excited to do so. 

Happy Birthday to Mom, Grandma Pace, Grandpa Okeson, and whoever else has a birthday this week. I love you all!!!!!

Love,
Sorella Pace

No comments:

Post a Comment